Monday 7 August 2017

Blog Bulletin


This week's musical accompaniment is provided by the legendary Glen Campbell. Born in 1936, Glen released more than 70 albums during his career. The reason for his artist-of-choice status, is because of his fondly remembered record 'Galveston.' On our recent outing to Chepstow, Peter C and Tommy burst forth with a few lines from 'Galveston', which was a clever play on words, as we'd just left Alveston.

You can listen and sing along here.

I thought I'd just mention that it was actually a toss-up between 'Galveston' and the theme tune to the American epic war drama film 'Deer Hunter' released in 1978.

This was after one of our members was unfortunately felled last week by a deer who failed to observe the highway code during the Wednesday evening Knight Rider session.


Here's a very atmospheric photograph from Des taken on the Sunday Series Ride on 23rd July 2017, when Bryan, Des and Tim H braved the wet weather to cycle to Bradford on Avon.

There's definitely something about the medium of black and white photography, which can make a very powerful image.

Actually, it's given me an idea that just for fun, the blog could have its own annual photography competition.

Back to the cycling, Des reports that they swam most of the way there and back. The trio stopped in Westbury for a cuppa, then headed on to Bradford on Avon for lunch. Having waited a while to see if the rain was going to halt, and finding that it wasn't going to, they headed for home. Brian had already done his miles, and so turned off at Grittleton. Des and Tim rode the last few miles back to Malmesbury, where surprise, surprise the sun was shining.

Well done lads. A great effort in very challenging conditions.




If you haven't already seen these pictures, they're from the club run to Chepstow on Saturday 29th July 2017.

The top one was taken after our refreshments at Pye Corner on Chepstow's impressive cast iron bridge, which crosses the River Wye and links Monmouthshire in Wales and Gloucestershire in England. The other was of course captured on the Severn Bridge. 

Although the two bridges were built 150 years apart, they're both Grade 1 listed buildings.

Pictured in the foreground on the Severn Bridge, alongside James M, is our new(est) member, Matt from Malmesbury, who we're delighted to have join us.

Riders: Andrew, Chris, James M, Matt, Pete B, Peter C, Phil, Tim W and Tommy.


Des has very kindly shared with us his experiences taking part in Prudential RideLondon on Sunday 30th July 2017:


Thanks to everyone who was able to sponsor me and my work colleagues, we ended up (last time I looked) raising £37,000 for our charity Aspire.

As for the ride, I went up on the Saturday by train with my bike booked on, as I firstly, needed to register and secondly, I thought it better than getting up at 3.00am. 


Oddly, having to ride across London from Paddington to Docklands was slightly impeded by the Saturday RideLondon event, as they were going in the wrong direction for me. I needed to get registered before 5.00pm. That was easy enough in the end and I headed to the hotel. It was then straight out to find some pasta before trying to get an early night. 


That didn't happen, but I was up at 5.45am, to ride the 4 miles to the start. I didn't want to get there too early and then have to wait a long time before our turn to go.

                         

We were off the line at 8.24am, and I was surprised by how much space there was once we were away on the closed roads. I met with one of my fellow riders and paced with her to the first water stop, where supposedly others would be, but they weren't, so I took off trying to see if I could catch them. 

It was a great day for the ride. I hit Surrey Hill, which was a long drag and was slightly worried when I felt a twinge in my thigh. I hoped I wasn't going to pull a muscle. I kept my head down and passed a few of my other colleagues before riding with a couple of them for a bit, then moved on to Leith Hill, which I didn't realise I was on for a while, but made it to the top without stopping, even though it was quite congested. 



I pushed on through the Surrey Hills to Box Hill, which was fantastic to ride up, as there was a bit more space compared to Leith Hill. From then on, I knew it was basically a run back into London. Strangely, at this point I felt strong enough to power up the small rollers on the way back. 

At 85 miles I started to feel pain in the backside and shoulders, but I knew that it wasn't anything that was going to stop me. The small bump that runs up in to Wimbledon was the last one, so I just ground that out and then felt like I was just going down hill from there. I tried to keep the pace up to the finish line, and crossed over it with an average of 16 mph, and a riding time of 6 hours 23 minutes, with only 37 minutes cafe time. I was so was pleased about that.



I had a hour or so rest in Green Park hosted by Aspire before jumping back on the bike to ride the couple of miles back to Paddington.

I'd like to thank Tim H and Brian for going out on the last Sunday Series ride the week before with me. The weather was awful to Bradford on Avon and back, but I knew that as we'd ridden 80 miles, I wouldn't have a problem on the RideLondon 100.

Finally, I think I'd be happy to sign up again for next year's RideLondon, as it was enjoyable and being able to ride on closed roads is a great experience. So, anyone up for it?

Des


Editor: On behalf of all of your club mates, excellent work Des.
                  Clarions at the front of Crowns Cafe, Lyneham
Sian has thoughtfully sent in the above photograph with a ride report, for which, I'm very grateful:

Saturday 5th August 2017, saw the Sporting and Social Groups meet up at the Crowns Cafe at Lyneham. This new venture is linked to the REME Museum just inside the main gates.

With 17 of us, we felt the group was too big to go back as one together.

We managed to get back to Malmesbury with the thunder rumbling in the distance and thankfully dodged the rain.

Sporting Group: Andy Poolman, James M, Lyndon, Mark Jones,  Peter C, Phil and Tommy.

Social Group: Bryan, Chris, Colin, John, Paul Hadley, Sian, Simon Akers, Steve Cox, Sue Akers and Tim H. 

Howard and 3 members of his Leisure Group brought the total number of riders up to an impressive 21.

Editor: A warm welcome from the blog is extended to Mark Jones, who we'll hopefully see a lot more of over the coming weeks and months.


1 comment: